Thursday, June 7, 2012

DEATH, Once Again!


For this fear of death is indeed the pretence of wisdom, and not real wisdom, being the appearance of knowing the unknown; since no one knows whether death, which they in their fear apprehend to be the greatest evil, may not be the greatest good. ~Socrates.



Death forgetting that he has taken several lives over the weekend once again struck at the gate of my office this morning.

It could have been me or any of my colleagues that died at about 7: 00 a. m today June 6, 2012 at the office entrance, I was thinking of my lateness and in my worrisome mood suddenly stumbled on a couple of women wailing uncontrollably in anguish. First I was shocked, jolted and in no time I learnt that a car just rammed Joshua a guy who works in the next office, into the power pole at the gate and killed him instantly.

Like an average human, a silly thought crossed my mind to say “thank you Lord I was late” because if I had come earlier it could have been my blood being covered with sands and my shoes scattered about the ground. I instantly think again and knew better; that death comes to all it was Joshua’s time this morning and his death does not mean he deserves to die more than any one of us discussing the incidence. His death does not call for a thanksgiving service from any one of us that narrowly missed the accident, it most certainly calls for soul searching, sober reflection and a total introspection as to why we do the things we do and how we do them.

I am not sure I have seen Joshua before as all the descriptions of him were lost on me, one thing today is sure that those who know him will talk and talk about him but his legacies, what he stands for or did not stand for will live after him.

Socrates in his last speech, the apology, said “The difficulty, my friends, is not in avoiding death, but in avoiding unrighteousness; for that runs faster than death” we can run from death all we want (albeit, stubborn death will catch up), the catch is in avoiding unrighteousness. I don’t want to sound like your pastor but my calling is to let you know that while you are alive and here, do all the good you can and avoid all the evil you can.

Ultimately I told myself that death comes to all; mine is lurking somewhere and so is yours, smile today, play with sands if you have to. We have lost a soul too many in the past few days and we shall continue to lose them until it comes around, in the meantime the little positivity we can foster will echo into the future of humanity and be a reason to smile for us when the time comes.

May we live till our dying day and may Joshua’s soul rest in peace. AMEN.

3 comments:

  1. Written as I see it, as an ordinary poet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmn who can tell about death? nobody. God will help us. Nice one Diipo, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly enough that Joshua was hacked to the pole...but at least the spot was identified, and his remains was buried.
    Some are not Hindi nor believe in cremation but eventually ended up burnt.
    Should we have the chance to choose how the end meets us, as for me, a rapture would do.
    In whatever way my end comes, I pray my soul be identified by the Creator and rest with Him.
    Good night, Joshua!
    good night Joshua!

    ReplyDelete